“I hired to my weaknesses. I looked for complementary skills to my own.” — Stephen Gillett
Stephen Gillett is highly regarded for his creativity, innovation and commitment to developing unparalleled customer experiences as a technology and business leader. He rose to become a CIO-plus at Starbucks, in addition to being the executive vice president of Digital Ventures.
Now, Stephen is the Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer at Symantec (an American computer security, backup and availability solutions software corporation).
He previously held executive positions at Best Buy, Corbis, Yahoo and CNET, and was considered amongst the youngest of the C-Level executives in the Fortune 500.
Stephen is known as a long-time MMORPG (massively multiplayer online role-playing game) guild leader most recently in World of Warcraft. He has been recognized as an innovative Guild Master by Wired Magazine. Business Weekly of Taiwan and China also profiled Stephen and his guild leadership style.
In 2009, John Seely Brown and John Hagel invited Stephen to the Aspen Institute as a young business and technology leader. The program, “Leveraging the Talent-Driven Organization in a Time of Economic Crisis, ” had Stephen facilitate a discussion: “Structure to Promote the Talent-Driven Organization”.
The Aspen Institute named Stephen Gillett a 2010 Henry Crown Fellow, a program designed to engage the next generation of leaders in the challenge of community-spirited leadership.
Stephen has also been named to the Boys & Girls Club (an after-school program for youth) of the King County Board of Directors. He was named a “40 Under 40 of Seattle & Puget Sound, ” a regional award program that spotlights the top business leaders under the age of 40.
Stephen Gillett’s Awards and Achievements:
* Stephen was a finalist in the Takreem Awards held in Beirut Lebanon
* Fortune Magazine ranked Stephen #22 in its “40 under 40” list
* InformationWeek named Stephen the Technology “Chief Of The Year”
* Symantec named Stephen to their Board of Directors and member of the Audit Committee, then later Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer
* Best Buy named Stephen Executive Vice President and President of Best Buy Digital and Global Business Services
* Appinions named Stephen Gillett as one of the most influential marketing leaders in America
Avatar Secrets Quotes:
Follow Stephen Gillett On: